Call to Order - 10:06am
Call to order the 2015 Homecoming meeting of Theta Chi of Penn State
Introduction of officers, alumni and undergraduates
Reading & Approval of Minutes from 2015 Founder's Day Corporation Meeting- Waved
1. President’s Report – David Hartwich by Jeff Damcott
- Internet... Transition to Comcast. - Service contract of two years has been signed to provide upgraded speed and service
2. Treasurer’s Report – Chris Burke (download report)
- Financial Report - see attachment - Chris explained our financial position as of Sept 30, 2015, Jeff Damcott asked if we had an appraised value of the house and property; Chris noted is was almost 2 million and was done when we repurchased the house from National about 5 years ago
- Jeff Damcott asked how much yearly donations were affected by the capital campaign and we were down $3000-$5000 per year during the campaign
- Chris explained that this report is not set to match year to year numbers and he is working to set a fiscal year so that we are comparing year to year figures. Reports in the past changed due to what month Homecoming was held.
- Chris stated we have an overall healthy financial position
- Numbers/Brothers in the House-A discussion of the minimum number was again held. 25 is the number of in-house brothers needed to breakeven; but an occupancy amount closer to 32 would be more ideal. A brief discussion was held on the split of in house vs. out of house brothers and what were the reasons for those living arrangements.
3. President – Undergraduate President Ryan Gattoni (download report)
- 41 Brothers- 27 in-house
- Won Theta Chi Chapter of Excellence in all categories but recruitment
- LEC Field exec visit went well
- IFC has become much more strict due to the recent issues at other fraternities at PSU
- Dr. Baker, Director of Greek Life, is leaving PSU for WVU
- 6 new members in this class
- 3.26 House GPA which is top 5 in Greek Life
- $892 raised for GI Theta Chi
- Kicks is Nov. 7
- Have been assigned their Neighbor to neighbor Representative- (neighborhood outreach program)
- • A discussion on rush was held. There is an understanding on the undergrads part of their own recruitment needs. Involvement in outside activities was agreed to be an important part of the process and the undergrads are doing a great job in this area. Some ideas to improve the appearance of the outside of the house were presented as potential help to market the fraternity.
- A brief discussion of the maintenance and cleanliness of the property was held.
- An update on the University President’s committee for the review of the Greek system was discussed. There are no formal findings of this committee at this time and only rumors are currently being circulated. There is a feeling that the Greek system will be under a larger microscope and that more rules might be instituted on the individual Chapters.
4. Treasurer – Waiting for reports
- The Chapter indicated they were in good financial standing and all bills are up to date. Projections are to have a small budget surplus at the end of the semester.
- Chris Burke recommended the undergrads to start a transition budget for the next incoming officers.
- Other chapter reports- A briefing on the new National mandated position of Health and Safety which focuses on mental health and well-being programming and being a facilitator of the resources that are available to the chapter.
- The undergrads are working to transition their file storage to the National Omega Phi program.
5. Old Business
- Campaign Plaque-In process and will be presented at Spring meeting
- Summer 2015 Capital Renovations- Jeff Damcott
- Bar floor war refinished with a Cementous /epoxy coating system
- Laundry bathroom has been completed except for a coat of paint
- Bathrooms and dining room floor were professionally cleaned
- Several other small repairs were made within the house
- The heating system was flushed to remove sediment accumulation
- Jeff Damcott provided an update on were things stood with the remaining house improvement needs. The board is committed to continuing on the smaller expenditure projects such as landscaping and wear replacement schedules. We are at a crossroad moment for the larger issues including the renovations to the main and second floors. These projects will cost a substantial amount of money and will need to be planned to maximize our investments and are impacted by ADA requirements.
6. New Business
- Richard Maltz Century Award. To be given at Homecoming Meeting.-
- Names were forwarded to Dave- the board will follow up
- Bylaw amendment suggestion-attached-Chris discussed the rational for the suggested amendment for the next board to review.
- Election of Alumni Board- Winner were:
- Chris Burke
- Ian Maxwell
- Aaron Speagle
- Dave Stoltzfus
- Kevin Trippel
- Officers will be determined by the newly elected board.
7. For the Good
- Jeff Damcott thanked the outgoing board for their service for the last couple years.
- 27 Brothers in house
- House GPA
- IFC indicating that Theta Chi is the farthest along for accreditation for Chapter of Excellence
Adjourn: “It is to thee Dear Old Theta Chi”- 11:19