To: Chapter, Colony, and Interest Group Officers
From: Bill Russo, Director of Leadership Development
Re: Chapter Leadership Conference XI.
Known as the "Birthplace of Flight", Dayton, Ohio will play host to over 300 Theta Chi leaders at this summer's Chapter Leadership Conference XI , July 14th to the 17th, 2005!
Are you ready for the time of your life?
Chapter Leadership Conference XI is quickly approaching and you don't want to miss out on this opportunity. You'll join over 300 brothers from all over the United States and Canada for an exciting and educational event located on the University of Dayton campus.
What is the Chapter Leadership Conference?
The Chapter Leadership Conference (CLC), held during odd-numbered years on university campuses around the country, is a living and learning experience for Theta Chi Fraternity undergraduates and alumnus members. The curriculum for the event includes a number of keynote presentations; operational and educational breakout sessions dealing with everything from recruitment to career skills; small group discussion meetings, and much, much more. We've packed more educational fun into three days than you might otherwise get in an entire year. Participants leave CLC with a greater sense of how our fraternity works on an International level and with the resources and skills needed to kick their organization into gear as they begin the fall semester. If you can't attend this year, make sure that other members represent your chapter, colony, or interest group...you'll be glad you did.
What is the registration fee for CLC?
Due to funds allocated by the Grand Chapter, and the Foundation Chapter of Theta Chi Fraternity Inc., registration has been kept to a minimum:
- $395/person if received at the IHQ on or before May 20, 2005
- $495/person if received after May 20, 2005 or on site
- $345/person if chapter sends 4 or more representatives and if received at the IHQ on or before May 20, 2005
- Save $50 per person when the chapter sends 4 or more brothers!
What does my registration fee cover?
The Chapter Leadership Conference XI registration fee covers everything listed below. Your only responsibility is getting to and from The University of Dayton. The registration fee for CLC IS NOT REFUNDABLE, but may be transferred to another individual by calling the International Headquarters. Individuals may pay over the phone with a credit card by calling 317.824.1881 or you may register on-line at www.thetachi.org. Chapters wishing to take advantage of the lowest registration rate may pay for individuals first and submit names closer to the event date.
The registration fee covers:
- All lodging for three nights (Thurs., Fri. and Sat.) in a suite shared with other randomly selected attendees. The suite is located in the air-conditioned residence halls on Dayton's campus.
- All meals (beginning with dinner on July 14th and ending with dinner on July 16th)
- All educational materials, CLC souvenirs, and special events held throughout the conference
Are there scholarships available?
Yes! There are many opportunities to assist with your costs for attending CLC. Many alumni corporations or universities will assist with registration or travel costs in addition to the financial assistance offered by the national fraternity. Be sure to check all options as you make your plans to attend.
Here are the scholarship opportunities available from our end...
- Rhodes Scholarship -The first 70 chapters, colonies, and interest groups that apply have the opportunity to obtain a $200 Earl "Dusty" Rhodes Scholarship to assist with travel and other expenses associated with CLC attendance. Chapters, colonies, and interest groups MUST complete and return the Rhodes Scholarship Form to the International Headquarters and be one of the first 70 applicants. One individual must be authorized as the Rhodes Scholar on this form. A $200 reimbursement check (payable to the individual authorized as the Rhodes Scholar) will be sent to him following the conference ONLY if he receives a Keyman with a "E" award for attendance at all necessary events at CLC.
- Hoge Scholarship - Fifteen (15) undergraduates will receive a $395 reimbursement to assist with travel and other expenses associated with CLC attendance in return for working with the staff and faculty throughout the event. Hoge Scholars will have a "behind the scenes" look at CLC, but will still be able to enjoy the sessions and special activities associated with CLC. The reimbursement will be sent to the selected recipients following the conference and pending the staff's evaluation of performance. Those selected must be willing and able to attend a meeting for all Hoge Scholar recipients on Thursday, July 14th at 12:00 p.m. A Hoge Scholar application must be received at the International Headquarters NO LATER THAN Friday, April 15th, 2005. Make as many copies of the application as needed. Individuals applying for a Hoge Scholarship may also be designated as the chapter, colony, or interest group's Rhodes Scholar, but may not participate in the Theta Chi Initiative program.
- Initiative Scholarships - If you've been to a number of national events and are a leader on your campus or in your organization, Theta Chi Initiative may be just the opportunity that you're looking for. Twelve (12) undergraduate leaders will be chosen to take part in this intensive and challenging training opportunity reserved for the "Best of the Best." Selection is based on an application process with campus and chapter involvement, attendance at national events, grade point average, and other information serving as criteria. Individuals selected for the program will be given special privileges throughout the week, participating in small group discussions with featured keynote speakers, and taking part in advanced leadership training. All applications must be received by Friday April 15th, 2004. Individuals applying for the $395 Initiative Scholarship may also be designated as the chapter, colony, or interest group's Rhodes Scholar, but may not participate in the Theta Chi Hoge program.
When should I plan to arrive and depart?
CLC will officially begin with the opening on Thursday, July 14th at 3:00p.m. Participants should plan to arrive at the University of Dayton between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. in order to get registered and checked into their rooms. This will allow plenty of time before we begin the official opening of the conference and will provide an opportunity for you to meet and mingle with other brothers from across North America. Participants should plan to depart on Sunday, July 17th.
Any suggestions for travel arrangements?
Participants planning to fly to CLC may call Ross and Babcock Travel Agency, Theta Chi Fraternity's travel agency, for flight pricing and arrangements. Call 1.800.960.9898 and ask for Yvonne. Participants should plan on flying into Dayton International Airport, which is located about 15 minutes from the University of Dayton. Be sure to let them know that you are with Theta Chi Fraternity and feel free to mention that you are looking for the most cost-effective flight. Maps and driving directions will be provided at a later date for participants planning to drive to the University of Dayton.
What about transportation from the airport to campus?
Participants are responsible for their own transportation to the University of Dayton and the airport. The University is about 15 minutes from Dayton International Airport and there are a number of taxi, rental car, and shuttle bus options available at the Ground Transportation center at the airport.
What kind of lodging and meals should I expect?
Your lodging for CLC XI will be provided as part of your registration fee. Participants will be placed in suites that contain two double occupancy rooms and a living room in air-conditioned residence halls on campus. Most meals will be served in the University dining hall. However, there are some special catered meals throughout the week, as well as late night snacks and a pizza and bowling party.
What should I plan to wear?
Chapter Leadership Conference XI is a casual event and we want you to be comfortable. Shorts (no cutoffs) or khakis and collared shirts are appropriate attire for the week. The closing banquet and activity calls for participants to wear shirt and tie. There are special events such as the Freeman/Chase 5K Run/Walk, so be sure to pack for those if you plan to participate. T-shirts with inappropriate language, content, or designs will not be tolerated. Bring extra recruitment t-shirts to swap with other chapters, colonies, and interest groups. You should plan to represent Theta Chi Fraternity in a positive manner at all times, as we are guests at The University of Dayton.
What are the expectations of CLC participants?
Chapter Leadership Conference XI is designed as an opportunity for undergraduate and alumnus members to join with national officers, staff members, and volunteers in an educational and interactive community. CLC provides an alcohol and drug free educational program and environment; thus, students and facilitators are not to bring any alcohol or other drugs to the campus nor use or purchase any alcohol or other drugs during the program, regardless of age. Facilitators and volunteers for the event have made this commitment and expect the full cooperation and support of all conference attendees. All participants are expected to represent Theta Chi Fraternity in a positive manner at all times and to confront others who violate the expectations for conference attendees. A successful conference also depends upon the full interaction and participation of everyone in attendance. Participants are encouraged to attend as many sessions and discussions as possible in order to get the full effect of the educational experience. There will also be plenty of recreational time for meeting other brothers and interacting with volunteers and national representatives.
Is there an advanced track for leaders?
The Theta Chi Initiative Program will once again be offered to undergraduate leaders attending CLC this summer. If you've been to a number of national events and are a leader on your campus or in your organization, Theta Chi Initiative may be just the opportunity that you're looking for. Twelve (12) undergraduate leaders will be chosen to take part in this intensive and challenging training opportunity reserved for the "Best of the Best." Selection is based on an application process with campus and chapter involvement, attendance at national events, grade point average, and other information serving as criteria. Individuals selected for the program will be given special privileges throughout the week, participating in small group discussions with featured keynote speakers, and taking part in advanced leadership training. Applications for the Theta Chi Initiative program must be received at the International Headquarters NO LATER THAN Friday, April 15th, 2005. Initiative participants may NOT serve as Hoge Scholars for CLC, but may be designated as the chapter, colony, or interest group's Rhodes Scholar recipient. An Initiative application link is at the bottom of this email.
Are there any other special opportunities?
We're glad you asked! There are lots of other special opportunities for CLC participants! Here are a few...
- Freeman-Chase 5K run/walk - the annual Freeman-Chase 5K Run/Walk will again be offered to interested participants on Friday morning, July 23rd. Interested individuals should include the $10 registration fee for the run/walk with their conference registration. All participants will receive a 5K Run/Walk T-shirt.
- Lending a helping hand in the community - Theta Chi Fraternity will exemplify its motto of the Helping Hand while in Dayton! We will have a toy drive for a local children's hospital. This is something your entire group can participate in.
What should I do after I get registered?
Once the International Headquarters has received your registration form and payment, an electronic confirmation will be sent to you via the e-mail address you provided on your registration form. This confirmation will include additional information, reminders, maps, and driving directions. Please make sure you include an e-mail address that is in good working order. No confirmations will be sent via mail.
Don't miss out!
Get your registration form completed today and mail it with payment to the International Headquarters. Remember that you can also pay over the phone using a credit card by calling us at 317.824.1881 or you can log-on to www.thetachi.org and register using our secure on-line form. Any questions regarding CLC should be addressed to the Director of Leadership Development, Bill Russo, at the International Headquarters. We'll see you in Dayton!
Things to do Timeline:
April 11, 2005
Deadline for submission of national award applications to the International Headquarters. Applications for all of the awards can be found at www.thetachi.org.
April 15, 2005
Hoge Scholar Applications due at the IHQ
Theta Chi Initiative Applications due at the IHQ
May 20, 2005
Registration deadline $395/person if received at IHQ by this date ($495/person after this date)
$345/ person if the chapter registers 4 or more participants and if received at IHQ by this date
Make flight reservations by this date to receive the best rate (call Ross and Babcock Travel Agency at 1.800.960.9898)
July 14, 2005
Arrive by 2:00 p.m. at the University of Dayton in order to register and check in before the event opening
July 17, 2005
Plan to depart Dayton, Ohio