Daily Collegian Story - Fire damages fraternity

collegian.png

By Emily Rehring - Collegian Staff Writer as Printed in the Daily Collegian on February 2, 1998

Fire damages fraternity

A fire Friday afternoon at Theta Chi fraternity, 523 S. Allen St., forced residents from the house for a short time, but all 23 residents were allowed to return to the house that night.

Randy Putt (left) of Putt Refrigeration and Heating and Pat Springer of Centre Region Code inspect fire damage in the kitchen at the Theta Chi fraternity house on South Allen Street. Cr: Mike Morones

Randy Putt (left) of Putt Refrigeration and Heating and Pat Springer of Centre Region Code inspect fire damage in the kitchen at the Theta Chi fraternity house on South Allen Street. Cr: Mike Morones

The fire was contained in the kitchen area, but the damage was widespread in the house, said Stan Clouser, assistant chief of Alpha Fire Co. The house suffered some wiring damage and smoke damage throughout the building, Clouser said.

click to see a larger version

click to see a larger versionThe cause of the fire has yet to be determined, Clouser said. An electrical contractor will inspect the damage this week, he said.

Theta Chi President Andy Schmidt could not be reached for comment.